[apt4ssx8] Re: APT usage

  • From: Dan Falck <ddfalck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apt4ssx8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 15:53:56 -0700

Hi Kent,
From what I've learned, every tool is valuable in it's own way. I
think accessibility, ease of use, and power also dictate how much I
use things. APT has some real power under the hood. It's been a while
since I've used it, but I would be game to try it again.

One of the problems that I have run into, in the past was keeping
things working, as I upgraded my computer. Sometimes that can be a
daunting task. With that in mind, Brent and I have been playing with a
Linode (Amazon ec2 cloud) server.
I set up a Ubuntu 10.04 image on Linode and installed some of my
favorite tools (FreeCAD, libarea, heekscnc post processors).
Brent just installed Apt360 on it and is working some things out with
macros. We can now run Apt360 on it, via ssh.

I could see doing the same thing with all the tools in the kit-
running from the server. The python tools that I've been using are
working out pretty well for me, but I could see mixing and matching
different languages, depending on the job.
It would be awesome to have the latest version of Apt running on it.

So, that would be like the old days of Apt - running it from the mainframe.
Dan