[apt4ssx8] Re: APT usage

  • From: "Kent A. Reed" <kentallanreed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apt4ssx8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 17:27:37 -0400

On 6/2/2012 10:04 AM, Dan Falck wrote:
Hi guys,
Matt- thanks for setting up the list!
I come at this subject from the user's perspective. Brent Muller got
me very interested in using APT when he set up the APT360 project. He
helped me through the learning curve and I was able to make parts on
my cnc mill with it.
I learned a lot through using APT and appreciate a lot of it's key
concepts. It's parametric nature is something that I really like.
Making variations of similar parts is one of it's strengths.
I hope we can resurrect the 'new version' of the old code.
Thanks,
Dan

Hi, Dan.

I hope we can too although I realize I should have already done more with Brent's port of the 'old version' of the old code :-)

I'm curious how you feel about APT now that you have so much experience under your belt working with other software approaches (I'm looking at your explorations on opensourcedesigntools.blogspot.com). Suppose we get apt4ssx8 running with its sculptured surfaces capability (however extensive that may turn out to be) and a decent CL postprocessor generating equally capable G-Code. Do you think this will be a tool you'd reach for as often as some of the other tools you've now got in your kit?

I'm still at the stage of using G-Code generator scripts to deal with my few parametric 2.5D parts, but every home shop machinist has a different problem to solve.

Regards,
Kent