[amayausers] Re: converting sating stitches to fill stitches

  • From: "Ed Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:31:51 -0600

Barbara & Beverly,
    You can expect it to even more than double because instead of having two
needle penetrations at points A and B, you're now inserting several stitch
points between A and B on every original satin stitch.  But just because
your stitch count will be a "Bazillion" (exactly how many is a Bazillion?),
it doesn't mean that your sew out time will be that high.  The machine will
sew at faster speeds during a fill stitch than it will sew satin stitches.
So you can expect your sew out time to be higher but probably no more than
double.  This will all depend on the design and/or design size.

    You can reduce the number of stitches dramatically by increasing the
stitch length in the fill properties tab.  By increasing the length of the
average stitch between points A and B, you will reduce the number of
stitches possible of that length to be created between points A and B.
Although some folks really like the way a tight fill stitch looks as opposed
to a longer fill stitch after you remove the fabric from the hoop and see
how the stitches move when flexing the fabric.   I believe the default in
Design Shop for Fill Stitch Length is 60.  I usually set mine to something
more like 35 or 40 for most fills.  If you are really concerned about this,
I suggest you practice first with different stitch lengths to see what the
numbers really mean.

    As for your digitizer, is this person familiar with the power of Design
Shop???  Probably not.  In the past, software may not have been capable of
what it can do today.  Not even two years ago did Design shop have some of
the neat features it has now.  It's always changing and getting better.
Don't worry yourself about bunching of the letters.  The only thing you
might notice right away is the "Push" factor when dealing with "Fills".
This will be attributed to more stitches as opposed to fewer.  Since physics
tells us that no two physical things can occupy the same place in space or
time, then when you insert a piece of embroidery thread between two threads
in a piece of fabric, then naturally the two threads will push apart.  Do
this about a...  , how did you call it, a Bazillion times and the overall
design will look wider than you originally intended.

    That is why there is what's called "Push Compensation" (similar to Pull
Compensation when dealing with columns).  You may only notice issues with
this when you have outlines or adjoining elements that are detail specific.

Sure hope this helps.

Ed Orantes
Amaya, EMT & EMC Tech
New Orleans, LA