[amayausers.com] Re: Supplier Help

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 11:58:47 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/567.html#000004

Hi Steve...this pops up around this time every year.
It is not only Scout uniforms but military, police, etc. Yes, by federal
guidelines the flag should ALWAYS be displayed with the star field on the
right.I just did a quick google to see why the Boy Scouts do it this way...the
reverse of what normally is required...and this popped up...

All Uniform Right Side U.S. Flag

Why Is the BSA's U.S. Flag Emblem Backwards?

A LOT of Scouts and Scouters (as well as military people!) have asked me:

why is the flag displayed with the union to the back of the right shoulder

This has gained SO MUCH of my personal mail over the last three months (partly
because I am now on active duty in Kuwait; partly because of the nature of the
question), that I will be adding it my Frequently Asked Questions at the end of
this month (considering, of course, that I will STILL have Internet access by
then).

Here's the bottom line:

# The Boy Scouts of America makes wearing of the U.S. Flag insignia an OPTIONAL
ITEM. It has been this way since 1957, when the U.S. flag emblem was first
added as a piece of BSA insignia in advance of the World Jamboree in Idaho in
the early 60s.

# The Boy Scouts of America's National Uniform and Insignia Committee
established HOW and WHERE the U.S. Flag insignia would be worn IF a Scout or
Scouter chose to wear it on the official uniforms. It is worn on ALL UNIFORMS
as the top-most piece of insignia on the RIGHT SHOULDER and no other location
on an official BSA uniform, to include the red or blue jac-shirt and their
lighter weight jackets. The Committee determined that since the U.S. Code does
NOT specifically address the direction the flag should be worn on an article of
clothing, that the flag would be worn as if you are looking at that flag from
afar, with the stars to the rear.

# The Boy Scouts of America has NO PLANS to alter that flag emblem; and Scouts
and Scouters should wear the U.S. Flag emblem as displayed in the BSA's
Insignia Guide.

# With regard to "who's right," since the U.S. Code does not place in writing
how our national flag would be worn on a uniform, both the military and the BSA
(and other organizations) are absolutely correct. Each organization sets their
own uniforming policies and it is NOT dictated by "congress" nor by anyone else
other than that organization. Note that while the BSA is chartered through an
act of Congress, that the BSA is free to provide their own policies concerning
uniform and insignia wear without Congress' input (and this is a GOOD THING)!!

# Finally, Scouts and Scouters should be proud to wear our nation's flag on the
uniform, but not all Scouts and Scouters can do this. So let's not be forcing
kids and adults to do something which is against their moral or religious
upbringing, okay?? There are several religious organizations and faiths who do
NOT allow their members to wear anything which symbolizes an alliegence toward.
These faiths and organizations believe that "God" or "Allah" is more important
than "country" -- and this is EXACTLY WHY the BSA does NOT and WILL NOT make
the wearing of the U.S. Flag emblem MANDATORY.

Hope that all of these points helps you and your Scouts in coming to grips with
"why do the military wear the flag "backwards" and we in Scouting wear the flag
"forwards".

(and for the record, I'm wearing my military desert battle uniform with the
American flag *backwards* as prescribed by military policy!)