[amayausers] Re: Need pricing advise

  • From: "Body Cover" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:41:04 -0700

I think the point that many are trying to make is, that
with so many of the users on this list being one or two
head shops (meaning Amayas per business) it is really
a different niche than the bigger shops. One thing people seem to think is
that they buy an embroidery machine and think they can be competitive.

Like Aaron said, if you are willing to work cheap enough, you can get these jobs
and with a single head you may be able to run 100 hats in around 2 + days
if this works for you, you may be only making $1 or less an hour,

You can be only busy or you can try to work markets that you can be profitable
in.
As Roland mentioned there are a lot of larger shops that can only feed the
machinery
with orders from small shops to supplement what they get. Most of these shops
would laugh if you came in and wanted two towels monogrammed for a wedding, but
your shop
may to it gladly! I recently began to understand the value of outsourcing some
jobs so that
we can stay open for the smaller jobs that have become our bread and butter, It
killed me too think
I would have to send a job out that I used to make $6 or $7 a piece on but kill
ourselves for
the better part of a week to do, Now I see that my profit of around $2 each is
much less
but All I did was send them the file and drop ship the order, an e-mail and a
phone call.
and for that whole week I still was able to make our customers, (that would
have been put
off in the schedule or turned away), happy that we could do their work which IS
the
smaller quantity higher profit work that we are used to and counting on. and in
the end
I make a few hundred dollars for nothing!

This scenario isn't going to work for everyone, but I suggest to each of the
smaller shops
to research some contract shops and this way you can be competitive on the
bigger jobs
and ease some work load when getting some bigger orders, A quality contract shop
will never make themselves known to your end user, the work silently on your
side on your behalf.
If it becomes known that they let end users know who they are and what they
did, Contract
customers spread that news very quickly and they lose their customer base VERY
quickly,
so their well being relies on their anonymity as well. That being said for them
to be profitable
they need to work fast and push product through very quickly. It is very
important that you have
ALL your information (thread colors, locations, sizes, digitized files or
quality art work and blank garments )
in place so that the only call they have to make to you is the one telling you
they are ready.

It can be a win/win for both, but it won't be for everyone, A lot of people
want complete control
of the whole process, or if you are trying to not tell your customer how you
are doing the work
then they come in and want to see one of the garments to show a fellow
committee member
"even though I know they know they aren't ALL ready yet... can I just see one
to show them?"
That one can be interesting.

Anyway just some food for thought from someone who used to think they had to do
it all.
and now, thinks first of the phrase, "Work smarter not harder"

Ron Vinyard
Body Cover / Magic Stitches

1-888-435-0176
541-471-1504 Fax 541-471-0427

420 SW H Street, Grants Pass, OR 97526-2532

info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.bodycoverdesign.com