[amayausers] Re: Melco followup

  • From: "Jeff Banks" <banksje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 06:56:36 -0700

All,

 Perhaps what is needed is something in between the Sale Brochures, and the
Technical Bulletins that the technically trained people get who go through
the Technical Training?

I would think a separate mailing list should be used and signed up for so
people can sign up for what they want to receive. This would be an excellent
suggestion for the feedback form to Melco and I encourage ALL to use it for
suggestions of this type, and I will also pass it on. Also, there is an
Amaya mail box for feedback that is published in literature sent with the
machines. The Amaya@xxxxxxxxx email box is for feedback and suggestions on
the Amaya machine. Please use this email address and send suggestions of
this type to Melco. They are read, and they are used to help us improve.

 I think that some of this would be good, I also say this with caution. Not
all changes to the machines mean that what is already there does not work.
If a part changes, it does not mean that what was there 12 months ago needs
to be replaced because there is an new part. It is sometimes the difference
between 2003 and 2004, and 2004 and 2005. The machine and software is
changing constantly. As time passes things are going to get improved, and
changed. This is normal. Does that mean that what is older is not good, no
it does not. It means improvements were done, just as all products evolve.

If there is a failure in a machine in the field, it will automatically get
the new improved part. If it does not fail, then why replace it unless it
effects performance or poses a safety issue? Does that mean we ignore items
that are "critical", NO. I also believe that at this point there are few if
any machines in the field that have not had all Critical Hardware updates.
If there are still some out there without the updates it is because the
machine is performing as is satisfactorily.

 Melco has not charged for any of the updates to the Amaya software until
the 2005 release. Many of the critical items to machine operation can be
handled in software. Melco has had a lot of changes in the software and due
to this has not charged anyone for the updates and in most cases, people
were updated automatically. In 2005 we started adding new features. Melco
felt the software and operation was stable enough that it was time for new
features. New features are going to mean an upgrade fee. For critical items
that are discovered and need to be corrected for machine performance issues,
there will be an interim or maintenance release of the version 5 software
that will include the critical items. The Maintenance Release of the version
5 software is so those people who do not want to pay for the upgrade to
version 6 software will have all fixes for free that are felt to be critical
to machine operation. For those who are not  receiving all the Amaya
software updates automatically, call Melco and insure you have the last free
Amaya software update. This should be version 5.07.043, and the maintenance
release when it is finalized (which will be real soon) will be 5.07.048.
The maintenance release will have some fixes to items that most of you have
not had problems with. For those that have reported issues the Maintenance
Release Software fixes, this software has already been shipped to them. My
understanding is the Maintenance Release of version 5  is going to be
automatically shipped to all, but I will verify that and let you know.

 For those of you with the version 6 software, there is also going to be a
Maintenance Release soon as well. This new release will fix or improve items
that have been dealt with since its release in January.

Sincerely,
 Jeff Banks
 Melco Embroidery Systems