[amayausers.com] Re: Machine down, Tech guessing!

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 03:16:40 UT

This message was posted by StringNet on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/782.html#000014

Please excuse my long  winded response.

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Brian Kirk; I am the technician that
has been thrown under the bus in this tirade. I am a technician with 14 years
of full time technical experience. I am not a part time tech. All I do is fix
machines and provide technical advice and training to people in the embroidery
business.  I have never posted in this forum but after hearing about this
slanderous post, I feel that I must reply, in fact I just now created an
account so I could do so.

Let?s start by getting a few facts straight. I was not involved in diagnosing
this problem before my visit. My understanding is that Dave contacted Melco and
discussed the problems with a phone tech. That discussion resulted in a
diagnosis of two possible failed components. The Z motor and/or the CPU. Either
part could generate the problem that this machine was experiencing. I believe
the cost to replace both parts were discussed. I don?t know the details of this
conversation but Melco typically recommends replacement of both the motor and
the CPU at the same time. If it was under warranty that is most likely what
would have been done. For whatever reason, it was decided that the Z motor
would be replaced first and by itself. At this point Dave purchased a new Z
motor.

I was then contacted by Melco with a request to replace the Z motor in Dave?s
machine. When I arrived at Dave?s shop my first steps were to troubleshoot and
verify the diagnosis. After troubleshooting I came to a similar conclusion.  Z
motor or CPU. There are very few ways to bench test a servo motor with a built
in encoder. About the only thing you can test for is a short circuit. There
were no shorts in this motor but that was expected as the symptom was a
tracking error which is generally related to the encoder. There is no way to
bench test an encoder in the field. Encoder failures are not common on these
motors but are not unheard of. I advised Dave that I could find no problem with
the motor but was unable to rule it out conclusively. If I had both parts on
hand I would have tried the CPU first. But the motor was the only part on hand
as Dave did not order a CPU. So we tried the motor with no success. Leaving
the CPU as the most likely culprit.

Lets clear up a few more things. ?guessing? It?s not guessing its
troubleshooting and a process of elimination. Electronic problems are very
difficult things to track down. There are many components that all have to work
and communicate perfectly in order for the machine to function. There are
usually no physical breaks and nothing you can see. It takes very sophisticated
equipment to positively identify exactly where the problem is. It?s equipment
that can?t be taken on a field service visit. As a field tech we do our best
using our knowledge, skills and tools at hand to best determine what is wrong.
It?s not always easy. No matter how good you are, you don?t always get it on
the first try. If I have a broken part in my hand I can guarantee that
replacing it will fix the problem. As far as electronics go, and with the
limited resources available on a field service visit, I can?t and won?t give a
guaranteed diagnosis. It would be irresponsible to do so. No matter how remote t
 he possibility, no matter how unlikely, it could still be something else.

?They said they train the techs to replace the cheapest things first and work
up in price.?
 I don?t know where that came from. It?s not the way I was trained and I have
never heard that phrase before. I try to narrow it down to the most likely
cause and work from there. In this situation I felt it was 60/40 CPU/motor but
all we had was the motor so trying the motor was a good call.

Dave, I did everything I could to help you. I cut my vacation short and lost a
warm sunny Friday to come see you as you told me that you couldn?t wait till
after the weekend. I gave you cost saving advice and showed you how to replace
the board yourself to further save you money. I understand that you may be
disgruntled with Melco but I don?t think that my level of service has wronged
you in any way. Yet this post has tarnished my excellent reputation.

All that being said. I am still willing to help you if I can, because that?s
what I do? I fix machines.

Brian