[amayausers] Re: Heat transfers HELP!

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 15:41:10 -0400

Having done heat transfers for years....here's some help....get a
teflon 'pad' (I think Stahls has one) it is like a thin (not even
1/4") teflon covered bag with some sort of padding in it...and slide
this inside EVERY garment before you heat seal it. The first heat
press I ever had was a 'raised' platen-almost like a screen press-you
would open the shirt and slide it on the plate, collar towards you-so
there was always ONE layer of material on the platen, not front and
back of the shirt-like new 'flat' bed sealers. This is why you need
the teflon 'bag pad'. Sublimation transfers will NOT penetrate or
stick to teflon, another reason to have a teflon sheet ON TOP of your
paper transfer-prevents anything from sticking or resublimating to
your 'hot' platen and then retransfering to the next item.
If you have trouble with a VINYL transfer showing through the front
of the shirt, not a 'sublimation' imprint-then your heat and pressure
are too high and too hard....and I would STILL use a pad inside the
shirt. I never had that problem with regular transfers-digital print
on vinyl or straight cut vinyl....only with sublimation transfer. AND
KEEP IN MIND....all your 'soccer' type shirts-the 100% poly material,
basketball, etc.- with the crazy designs in the fabric-those are
SUBLIMATED dyes, and once you hit 375 degrees-you can RE-sublimate
that design-which means that you can 'push' that design to the front
on the shirt, or back-because the heat causes the ink to turn into a
gas dye again....
teflon sheets-gotta luv 'em!
Roland