[amayausers] Re: Digitizing easiest way, fees, samples for clients?

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 16:41:11 UT

The following message was posted by levelbest on Amayausers.com:

1. What is the best format to request client files in (.IA)?

We request vector based files - .ai .eps etc.  Short of that - I tell them I
need a copy of their logo as large as they can give me...  figuring I can
always scale down if needed.

2. I suspect most clients will have a .jpg file. Is there a way to convert a
.jpg into stitches?

If you are looking to do auto digitizing, I would suspect that all but the
simplest logos are going to leave you dissapointed.  Illustrator CS2 has some
neat features that can covert images to paths which might get you something
decent enough to work with.

3. Do you offer a sample logo on a shirt to a client? Do you make them pay you
upfront for Digitizing, setup, and the sample item? Or do you tell them the
logo will look pretty much like the logo on their business card, but it will
appear on the left chest of the shirt in the catalog?

Nope.  I will show clients a book of samples we have done for others, but time
is money, so if they want something digitized, they have to pay for it  ;)

As I mentioned previously on the list, we do a 2 shirts and digitizing for $75.
 Most cases, we'll make about $10 on that but on a complex logo, you might
break even or loose a little money.  I would love it if you would send me a
copy of the logo (private message me and I'll give you an address to send it
to).  I can suggest a few places - a few that have flat fees for left chest
logos that could make this work for you.  The price you quoted was way too high.

4. What fees do you charge and when do you charge them to the client in your
work flow?

We try to keep everything simple.  Digitizing fee or setup charge to put it in
plain language (if they don't buy the special) and then just a price per item.
We don't break out sewout from the shirt.  Only exception is to put names on
something where we'll charge a flat fee of like $3-5 or something to add to any
polo.

To reply to this message, please visit AmayaUsers.com by clicking here:
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/3/2.html#000001