[amayausers] Re: Digitizing easiest way, fees, samples for clients?

  • From: David Smith <macaddicted@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 15:28:10 -0700

On May 29, 2006, at 7:31 AM, webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The following message was posted by Impressions Embroidered Apparel
> on Amayausers.com:
>
> Hi,
>
> We have Design Shop Pro +, but just got it.  So we will be using
> other digitizing services for now.  If you wanted to do a sew out
> sample for a client and you need a digitized file to do it, what do
> most of you do?  One client wanted to see a sample shirt with their
> logo.  The shirt would be $8, plus shipping, the digitizing fee
> would be $125 (complex logo), plus our time to set it up.  So over
> $135 for an order that we might not get, or could end up being an
> order for 3 shirts.
>
> In general:
>
> 1. What is the best format to request client files in (.IA)?

I worked for almost 10 years setting up art for a silk-screener so I
think I can help you here.

Vector (or outline) files are usually best as generally they can be
easily resized and provide the cleanest looking art. The most common
formats are .ai-Adobe Illustrator, .cdr-Corel Draw, and .eps-
Encapsulated Postcript (generic postscript). You will also run across
other formats, such as .fh-Freehand or .wmf-Windows Metafile, but
these were far less common in my experience.

Corel can export to Illustrator 7 format, IIRC, but in my experience
always seems to slaughter some part of the art, and occasionally
cannot be opened in Illustrator. As a pre-press artist I had to have
both, but always preferred to work in Illustrator. You can usually
specify what format you want, but make sure you have either Corel or
Illustrator in your software suite. I don't have enough experience on
the PC side to recommend one or the other as I am a Macintosh user. I
have always hoped that the Mac implementation of CorelDraw was not
indicative of its overall quality, as on the Mac it was complete kluge.

> 2. I suspect most clients will have a .jpg file.  Is there a way to
> convert a .jpg into stitches?

It's actually much worse than that. Most of the .jpg files are web
graphics and are extremely low in resolution. I know for offset litho
(printing) or silk-screening we wanted a file with at least 200 dpi
(dots per inch, or more appropriately ppi, pixels per inch). 300 ppi
is better. Most web graphics are either 72 or 96 ppi. I would try to
avoid jpg files as you are probably going to have to pay someone like
me to fix the jpg, then pay to have the file converted to stitches.
If you find someone who can do both at a reasonable rate then I would
use them, and look doleful when you explain to your client why it
costs so much. ;-)

If you would like email me direct and I will see if I can help you
through the alphabet soup of file formats.

[snip]

Dave
macaddicted