[amayausers] Re: Digitizing question

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:51:10 -0400

I do tons of vector line art graphics...all day, every day....and can tell
you if you try to resize by percentage, you are not getting the correct
'outline' and that's why it looks off center. It isn't a 'percentage' of
shrinkage you need-it is an 'inset' by a set amount...if I need to make
shadows in designs for cutting vinyl, I duplicate the outline, then go to
'inset path' and decide what 'measure of inset' I want...(okay, we're
talking Mac graphics here, bear with me).
If I'm working on 12" high letters for example, and want an inset shadow or
line at 1/4", I can set the 'inset' to .25 and click...and I get a perfect
'tracing' of the entire outline 1/4" inside the original line. If I don't
know what I want it to be, I can set it to .25 and say 6 paths, and it will
make 6 perfectly spaced inset paths. But if you will visualize the letter Q
in Times Roman....the 'sides' of the Q are thicker in the middle and thinner
top and bottom...so these 'inset paths' will start to meet and disappear at
the narrow sections. Instead of 6 paths, it will drop to 4, then 2, etc.
Okay? THIS is what you need for your 'smaller' outline. A true 'percentage'
is only making the ENTIRE outline or design smaller in all directions.
Just make one letter, then duplicate it on top of itself....now in your
Scale (design shop) set it to 90 percent, duplicate it, set it to 80
percent. Do a couple more if you want-and then look at what you made...try
and line up ANY of them dead center and you will see the result. They cannot
be used to make an 'inside' line of each other. Two different
animals...inset line and scaling...
Roland

From: "Cheryl Rotter" <tsiemb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:54:49 -0700
To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [amayausers] Re: Digitizing question

Dorothy,

I tried resizing by % but it didn¹t seem to stay centered. I¹ll try again.
Thanks for the suggestion

Cheryl Rotter

Team Sports Ink

5111 Grumann Dr. Ste #1B