[amayausers] Re: Best Credit Card Processing?

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 15:29:08 -0400

Steve, start with your local bank and ask them about taking
MC...since it has to be linked to a checking account. Then call other
banks in the area, see if one 'specializes' in small businesses.
Don't get conned into buying equipment...that is their negotiating
point...at least don't spend more than a couple hundred dollars! NOT
a thousand...we picked up a complete card swiper and printer setup
for $50 from another business that folded...check around.
Where you get screwed is the 'hidden fees'...we had what we thought
was a good service..until they kept raising 'monthly fees' up to $75
per month..on TOP of the other fees. And then we noticed a 'per card'
charge, and an ADDITIONAL 'per TYPE of card' fee, and then a
'swiping' fee-added up to almost $1.50 for every card
transaction...on TOP of the percentage. A bank in the next state over
came through and offered us a good deal...less than 2% fee, NO
monthly 'fee', NO per card/swipe fee....we are saving several hundred
$$ a year and because of it had a machine installed at the graphic
end-not just our retail end. We have noticed over the last year we
are down to taking 6-8 checks a week, but 30-40 debit or credit cards
just on weekends sometimes...where it used to be the other way around.
You DO want to have an ironclad agreement on your invoices...that
states ALL CUSTOM SEWN/IMPRINTED GOODS ARE NON-RETURNABLE OR
REFUNDABLE...because without it the customer can dispute the bill and
stick you...it will cost YOU $25-$50 to CONTEST the chargeback! Been
there, done that!

Roland