[adtools] newlib as default CRT?

  • From: "Henning Nielsen Lund" <hnl_dk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: adtools@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:18:22 +0200 (CEST)

Hello

I am new on this mailing list. I guess this has been discussed before, but
with the new SDK released would I like to ask about this...

What are peoples opinions about making newlib the default C runtime library?

From my point of view:
Newlib is a shared library (part of OS4 itself), more optimized,
supporting altivec. Producing smaller, faster binaries, that does not need
a recompile if a bug has been found in newlib or if the code becomes even
more optimized.
Clib2 is a static library, with more functions. Applications using clib2
will stay "stable", even if there is introduced new bugs in clib2. The two
biggest positive things about clib2 is 1. that it is opensource 2. that it
has more functions.

I would say that newlib should be the default C runtime library. People
are more likely to use the default C runtime library, and as newlib will
produce smaller, faster and more flexible binaries will this be my choice
number one. Clib2 will still be used by things that need the functions
unavailable in newlib.
I see no reason why not to set newlib to the default library.

But again, this is not up to me, so what do you think?

If I get it correctly, is it relatively easy to change... just change the
following in gcc/config/rs6000/amigaos.h ?

#define CRT_AMIGA_DEFAULT "clib2"
#define CPP_AMIGA_DEFAULT_SPEC "%{mcrt=default|!mcrt=*:%<mcrt=default
-mcrt=clib2} %(cpp_clib2)"
#define LINK_AMIGA_DEFAULT_SPEC "%(link_clib2)"
#define STARTFILE_AMIGA_DEFAULT_SPEC "%(startfile_clib2)"
#define ENDFILE_AMIGA_DEFAULT_SPEC "%(endfile_clib2)"

--
best regards,
hnl_dk - Henning Nielsen Lund

µA1-C (IBM PowerPC 750 FX V2.2 @ 800MHz), 256MB RAM, NEC ND-3500A DVD/CD
RW, Samsung SP1604N 160GB PATA Harddisk drive, Acer AL1721 17" TFT,
modified Tyan M2042 1->3 PCI Riser...

Amiga Development tools ML - //www.freelists.org/list/adtools
Homepage...................: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/adtools
Listserver help............: mailto:adtools-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=HELP