[access-uk] Re: jaws 7

  • From: "Peter Logue" <peterlogue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:17:11 -0400

The new Jaws 7? Oh please ... I'm only just now getting used to the new Jaws
6.2.  I'm just about fed up with upgrades that aren't really upgrades at
all. For instance, access to firefox? That's a joke. FS are only trying to
appear to be keeping up to date or ahead of GWMicro, who are just now
testing access to firefox themselves.  FS  are still struggling with Firefox
and warn that its not yet ready, they even caution Jaws users to this before
they even ship Jaws 7, so  why ship a product if its not ready, why suggest
Firefox anyway when Firefox is still in beta, probably always will be since
its an open sourse product and changes almost nightly, and for that reason I
wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I think GWMicro should be flogged
for tossing Firefox at us also. Both of them, , GWMicro and FS, are just too
busy trying to get one over on the other that it is the customer who suffers
the cost of their timewasting... Re: GWMicro failing to have set files for
Powerpoint ready for the 5.5 release. They could well have had it ready for
the 5.5 release if they would have left Firefox well enough alone.
And what's in this thumbnail drive. What kind of rubbish is that. you need
jaws installed on the system to begin with. The thumbnail only changes the
personel settings? And for this the average Jaws user is going to carry a
thumbnail drive around in his or her pocket? I doubt it. Perhaps tutors of
jaws might carry the thumb as they go from appointment to appointment, but
other than that i can't see anyone else using it. So, its thumbs down on the
thumb drive for me.
quick nav keys for word?  Um, what's wrong with the find word or go to
command? Is this feature worth a hundred bucks?

Okay, you've got improved performance in adobe. Again, is that alone worth
the cost of an upgrade.

So, once again FS puts out a costly upgrade ... all potatoes and no meat.
I'd suggest not buying it, but the shark will get you sooner or later.

I've no qualms about buying an upgrade if its an upgrade that is going to
get you excited.
Peter