[access-uk] email authentication?

  • From: "Derek Hornby" <derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-Uk@Freelists. Org" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 21:25:39 +0100

Hi all

Does anyone know what email authentication is?
I've just received this from BT Yahoo! Internet.

Reminder: please authenticate your email!

We've introduced email authentication
To help reduce abuse of your email service and spam (junk email), we've
introduced authenticated email sending (known technically as 'authenticated
SMTP' or 'SMTP server authentication'). If you haven't yet made sure your
settings are configured to avoid possible problems sending  email, please do
so
NOW.

What you need to do
Email authentication means you need to make a small change to your email
program's settings (e.g. in Microsoft Outlook Express) in order to send your
email as usual.

Now the problem is,  I floowed the instructions what to do, but then
found I wasn't able to send mail, so had to change back.

So I am supposed to set up for  email authentication, yet that stops  me
from
sending mail.

Regards,
Derek