[access-uk] Re: echolocation

  • From: "whizza" <whizza8@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:16:30 +0100

I've always used some form of echo location to avoid obstacles or just to tell me what's around. I came unstuck when I was working as they decided to fit carpets in the corridors. I walked out of my office and stopped dead. It was like walking in snow. I couldn't even hear my own footsteps and everything was muffled by the carpets. I completely lost any sense of direction and had to wait for someone to come out and sort me out. Eventually, of course, I adapted to the different sound of the corridor and was able to orientate myself as though it wasn't there. I don't think it's a conscious thing; it's just something we as blind people learn to do to compensate for the lack of sight and to tell us where we're going and what's in our way!

Cheers,
Sandra.