[access-uk] Re: buffering problem with Win 98

  • From: Chipmunks <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:49:05 +0200

If you are already in the possession of memory chips that will fit your machine there, then upgrade the RAM by all means. If you do not, then - and anyone who knows me knows I am very slow to suggest this sort of thing - rather than spending money on additional memory chips, I would recommend getting a new machine that can run a newer operating system. You can already get a machine capable of running win xp and speech in the 200 to 300 Euro bracket and memory chips for your 98 machine might cost you a third to half of that. Thus I think a new machine would be well worth the investment. Additionally, win 98 se is no longer supported by microsoft and thus is a potential security risk.

I realize that upgrading the hardware might not be an option. In that case, you can try the following:

1. go thru the entries in msconfig and make sure that any program or process that is not absolutely essential is not loaded automatically at startup. You need to be careful with this though as turning off the wrong processes might keep a machine from booting properly. Thus if you are not comfortable with messing around with this stuff, get a computer savvy friend to help you.

2. If possible at all, run your speech package with a hardware synthesizer rather than with software speech. You can get older hardware sytnhs that work with win 9x only often very cheap or even for free. See that you run a version of your speech package that is tailored for the win 9x operating system. for win 98, I'd recommend jaws 3.7 or maybe 4.5 but nothing higher as the newer jaws versions - and I assume the same is true for newer versions of other speech packages - take up more resources.

3. Only have the program open that you work with at the time, i.e. when you do email, your email client, or when you surfthe Internet your web browser.

4. Don't try to use the latest versions of either Winamp or Media Player. if you used Winamp, I'd recommend using version 2.95, the last of the 2.x series. the 2.x series of winamp is a lot easier on the resources than the newer versions.

www.oldversion.com

is your  friend.

A older machine like yours can still do mail, web brrwosing or word processing, but with the ram you mentioned it would be at the lower end of the scale even without speech. Playing an mp3 file is quite taxing for the system as mp3s have the music in a compressed format that needs to be decoded when being played and this on top of handing your speech and other windows proceses might slow your machine down enough to have it buffer a lot. Don't try to play the songs across the internet from the ftp site. If you did, that would account for buffering also.

If you can at all, though, I'd raid that piggy bank for something newer.

Cheers,

Doris

At 08:22 PM 8/14/2006 +1000, you wrote:

Hi List Members, I have just started downloading M P 3 music files via a ,F T P Server,, and I am experiencing what I would describe as buffering!. I am playing them directly from the hard drive useing ,Windows media player, first up I am useing Win 98 s e, with only a P 2 prosesser and just 64 meg's of ram, would such meager resourses be the main problem ?,if so apart from upgradeing the ram etc,is their something I can do to improve matters ?thanking you in anticipation.Alan

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.10.10/418 - Release Date: 8/14/2006