[access-uk] Re: buffering problem with Win 98

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:59:24 +0100

You have fairly tight resources and not a huge amount of power to do it in.
Whilst it may not be impossible to get gapless playing you will need to create
a bit of a wind to get you going.  Firstly you should make sure that your hard
disk is in tip top condition, run scandisk and then also degrag afterwards.
Make sure you can unload any unnecessary software resident in memory, everytime
you top the memory, something is going to be written to disk virtual memory,
and on a slow system that is going to be noticeable in a way that is not
immediately apparant on more up to date systems.  If you have Skype or
something similar unload it from memory whilst you play back your music.

In general though you probably would something a little more powerful as George
has indicated and probably best idea overall, or if you had a sufficiently
knowledgeable friend at least some more RAM if you can get it for nothing or
next too nothing at some computer fair, but it sounds like the PC is very old
which is likely to make such a task difficult.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support