[access-uk] Sluggish PC

  • From: "ANDY COLLINS" <Andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:36:50 +0100

Hi all -

A friend is running an xp service pack 3 machine. He's sighted, and only really
a lite user. His machine only has 256mb internal memory, but was running ok
until a few months ago, when everything slowed down, and it started taking say
about 2-3 minutes for programme to load, or shut down. I got him to do a defrag
and disc clean up, and run antivirus software, but with no improvement to his
problem

The machine is 8 years old. Is there anything else we might consider that could
help speed it up, or is the most likely problem a failing motherboard in an old
machine?

Like I say, it has never been heavily used, and use to perform at a much more
acceptible pace.

Thanks for any ideas shared -

Andy