[access-uk] Re: Reformat ... How to.

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:52:55 +0100

Hi Peter,

I take ti you can't use XP Pro because of the JFW issue?  (si!).

Anyway, to install XP Home on a Toshiba, as you say, the driver CDs (not
the recovery CD) will get the drivers you want onto the unit.  You just
install XP Home (you won't have speech of course), and then when it
restarts you need to install drivers for the following:

(Note this was what I did on a works Toshiba which came with WXP Home
recovery media which I had to upgrade to Pro, but it works the other way
round, although you may not have some of these items):

* Video drivers
* Audio drivers
* Chipset drivers
* Mouse drivers
* LAN drivers
* Wireless drivers

Additionally:
* Toshiba utilities (includes Toshiba specifics for power management
etc)
* Toshiba user guide - though this is not accessible
* Toshiba screen saver and wallpaper (!!!)

I would start with sound, then install JFW or use Narator and finish off
the rest of the install.  Get to know the folder structure of the driver
CD, so you can easily find the items when you have no speech.

Thanks.
Andrew.