[access-uk] Re: New Harry Potter book

  • From: "Yusuf" <yusufaosman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 09:34:37 +0100

I for one can manage to listen to a book and still here the announcements of
stops on trains. I've never been on a bus where the stops are announced.

Braille is obviously an important medium for the totally blind or those who
don't have enough sight to use print it teaches us about grammar and
spelling. However it is not appropriate for all situations or for all
people. As individuals we have to work out what works best for us in our own
lives.

For me Braille is brilliant for labeling things, taking notes in lectures
and when reading from notes for presentations.

But for university work its simply not fast enough. If I have to read 4
minimum 300 page books and a number of journal articles for an essay Braille
simply is not a fast enough way of accessing the information for me. I used to be able to read around 60 Braille pages in an hour but I could never keep this up consistently over a long period of time. With speech I can set the rate reasonably fast and maintain this over a much longer period.

Just to bring this back to Harry Potter I'm glad that the Braille will be out at the same time as the print, I am disappointed though that again the audio is delayed and that there isn't the choice of a TXT version for those that want it.

I'm now in the rather nice position of having to decide if I can make the space for the Braille version and if I want to spend the double price on it rather than scanning the printed version which I have ordered from amazon.

Yusuf
----- Original Message ----- From: "Angel" <angel238@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>