[access-uk] Re: LLU internet service provider?

  • From: "Georgina Joyce" <gena-j@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 12:08:17 +0100

Hi

Just to throw more confusion into the pot.  I wouldn't have thought it =
is such a big issue.  Even Bulldog provide us with a service, it is BT =
that had to provide the line up to the house.  So if we were to take up =
with BT, they'd come and inspect or install a new line within 7 days, =
but as we were contractually obliged to continue with Bulldog when we =
moved here, we had to wait 28 days.  I'd go with what was NTL now Virgin =
if I could simply because the infrastructure is new and more capable of =
taking data transmissions.  ADSL services are just tacking on an old =
flaky network that was never designed for that purpose.  But alas, we =
all don't have the choice.  There's a skill in choosing an Internet =
Service Provider and I've made some blunders.  BT's support is better =
but they charge more.  You have to ask how critical is the support and =
how critical is the finance.  Take a second line here, for example, =
Bulldog will fit one for =A399.99 and will take up to 28 days as they =
have to pass the request on to BT to undertake the work.  For the same =
service direct from BT and cut out the middle man it's =A3124.99.  Then =
the subsequent line rental from BT, if paid by Direct Debit, is =A311.00 =
a month, whereas, Bulldog charge =A310.50 a month.  There's also other =
differences relating to the duration of the contract etc..  And this =
just the phone line to carry the ADSL service.

HTH

Gena

Amateur Call: M 0 E B P

VOIP / IM: gena1959uk