[access-uk] Re: I phone 4S Steve & Jackie

  • From: Chris Moore <moore.c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 10:02:49 +0100

See this is where I think a touch screen phone could be very useful if you have
sensitivity issues in your fingers.  The surface is completely flat, there are
no buttons to press apart from the home button, or volume up and down (but even
that can be changed on screen).  You don't have to worry about having to feel
for the right key in a tactile way.  You simply let your finger glide and just
let voiceover read out whatever is under your finger.  I see this an advantage
over a tactile phone, as you have to press the button before you are aware of
what it will do (unless you have keyboard help mode on of course) and that
relies on you memorising what all the shortcut keys do.

The only advantage a tactile keypad has over a touch screen is typing speed for
messages and emails.  But if you have poor sensitivity, then you probably have
difficulty feeling the keys anyway, which would then not be very beneficial.
Typing on a touch screen is improving with the likes of having built in
dictation, and there is the wonderful fleksy app which has speeded up my typing
dramatically.  i never use a bluetooth keyboard now.

Anyone new to the iPhone is going to find it daunting, blind or not.  I got my
first iPhone in 2009 and I had vision then.  I found it very frustrating moving
from the Nokia to iPhone, but to be fair the OS has matured since then.

I think you would need to give the iPhone at least a week to get used to it.
Personally, I think it is the best gadget I have ever owned, blind or sighted.
Even if I was to have some sort of magical stem cell treatment to get my vision
back, I think I would still use voiceover quite a bit, as it offers eyes free
control.  The sighted world are missing a trick, as voiceover has been
beautifully implemented in my opinion.

As time goes on, I am now starting to use my Mac less and less and doing more
things on my iPhone.  Email, Calendars, To do lists, reminders, weather,
surfing the internet, listening to audio books, podcasts, music, radio, getting
TV listings, checking the news, reading an iBook, playing with other apps such
as twitter, Facebook games, and of course using it as a phone!  All tasks are
so simple and don't require jumping through hoops.  The phone is a pleasure.  I
very rarely used my previous Nokia devices to surf web pages, I do it all the
time on my iPhone as it is so simple.

I just could not live without the versatility or ease of use from this device.
Once you have got used to it, you will love it.

Chris