[access-uk] Re: I phone 4S Steve & Jackie

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <jackie.cairnsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 09:30:30 +0100

Hi Andy

If you have never felt the iPhone before, it is rectangular in shape, and
has a flat screen.  There is one button near the bottom, and that's about it
on the front.  I understand there is an overlay that allows you to feel the
various icons, but I have never used one, nor seen it for that matter.

If you have poor sensitivity, I suspect you might struggle, but I wouldn't
want to put you off as you might enjoy it.  Effectively, you swipe your
finger along the screen and VoiceOver reads out the app icons you are
skimming.  You do a double tap to open any of the apps you want to enter.
It is a very different concept from the N86, not impossible to learn, but
difficult if you have poor sensitivity.

Perhaps others could chip in.  In your shoes, I might favour the C5 if you
want a new phone, and forego the advantage of all the apps if you struggle
with your fingers.  There is an Apple keyboard, and several others that all
run under Bluetooth, but I am sure you wouldn't want to carry one of those
about with you, though some are very compact.

I appreciate your dilemma.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns