[access-uk] Freedom Scientific suit against GW Micro

  • From: Colin Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dummy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 16:24:47 +0100

Greetings,

From: Dorene Cornwell <DoreneFC@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:15:55 EDT

Do people not use place-markers because no one has trained  them in how to
do  them? That would be my first speculation based on my personal
experience  with formal JAWS training, Offhand, they sound extremely useful
and  they are  certainly on my list of gee it would be good to look up more
about.  That is not  at all a lack of interest, but the training / support/
evangelization angle  is another aspect of competition in a very rapidly
changing  technical  environment.

Further speculation informed only by casual attention to  software
intellectual property issues: I would think place markers on webpages  would
be a very  important competitive area just because of the proliferation of
dynamically  updated webpages. If one can make a location and go back there,
one  does not  have to reread the whole page if only a small area is
updated.

I tend to agree that patent infringement suits in the software  realm are
sometimes just an effort to extort license fees. I have also lived a  little
too  long in the land of Microsoft, land of buy low, sell high, to
automatically  be sympathetic to patent infringement claims.

However, I also definitely want time to work with Window Eyes  because it is
supposed to be far superior to JAWS about switching between  different
languages.

Best

Dorene Cornwell
Seattle WA