[access-uk] Re: Freedom Scientific suit against GW Micro

  • From: "Rays Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 23:01:38 +0100

I'm quite aware of the difference between charity and business, thanks very much.

I'm not sure the charities themselves are though.

You can assert all you will that might and power equals right - and that artgument goes back to the beginnings of western philosphy.

For me it is the guy who makes something work propperly and in a practical fashion that gets my vote. The work that went into making communications satilites practical is infinitley more valuable than mere speculation, no matter how clever and reasoned that may be.

There is much to much bland acceptance of the assertion of machismo and proprietorial right here.

I don't care much at all what the response of those on the other side of the debate may be. Suffice it to say that I am NOT the uncritical or slavish follower of the approach of any one vendor in particular. In ending I would echo what someone on the GW list said some time ago, to the effect that the VI community at large is not at all well served by corporate businesses who are not best served by those who's primary responsibility is to their shareholders, not directly to the end user, i.e. VI users.

I for one am not going to prolong this thread as I've made my position clear enough by now.

Cheers,
Ray.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Lloyd" <kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxx>
To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>om Scientific suit against GW Micro

Ray, if someone has patented bullshit then I'm afraid you may find yourself as the subject of a suit case after this mail.

You're absolutely right that Arthur C Clarke could have made a fortune by suing those who stole his ideas but the fact is that he spent his time writing fiction and not patenting ideas.

It is true that it's not a dignified way of going about your business to sue your competitors and somehow there's a view on this list that we're talking about a pair of charities here. We're not. These are companies who are both making a lot of profit from selling products to a confined market.

There will always be screen reader camps supporting their own particular product's vendor and some strange kind of misplaced loyalty. I'd suggest you should put this aside and look at the facts. Freedom Scientific were the company that introduced place markers and scripting. If they have patented the place marker idea and any other company infringes that patent, they have every right to feel agrieved and sue. Copyright and patent laws are there to protect the companies that put in funding to research and develop ideas and technologies and prevent them being ripped off by other companies that come along and take those ideas at a fraction of the price.

I think GW Micro can think themselves lucky that FS didn't patent other ideas such as the keyboard training functionality that Window-eyes brought in with version 6 that JAWS had in version 3.2 back in 1999 or earlier and I'm sure there are a few other examples.

Regards.

Kevin
E-mail: kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxx