[access-uk] Re: Bar code reading app suggestions please

  • From: "Richard Godfrey-McKay" <lists.godfrey-mckay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 10:22:43 +0100

Oops, you're right!

Richard
Richard Godfrey-McKay
Telephone: 01738-445 880
Mobile: 07791 452 593

-----Original Message-----
From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
lsmithso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 19 April 2015 10:12
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Bar code reading app suggestions please

I think the OP wanted an app for Android, not IOS.

Richard Godfrey-McKay writes:

Peter, There are some comparisons on the appleviz site. I use something
called Digiteyes - which is pretty good, although, as has been said part
of > the problem is finding the barcodes.
There seem to be some helpful guidelines e.g. codes are often where the
label on a can joins, or on the smaller label of a bottle of wine or other
products. So far as I can see, the codes are not usually on the prominent
product label, but on a less obvious part of the product.

If you can't get satisfactory results from a scanner, then I think you'd
be > pretty impressed by the results from TapTapSee - although this works
out at > about 6 or 7p per photo if you're prepared to pay that - and I am!

Another option might be to use the app bemyeyes - which allows volunteers
to > look through your phone's camera - effectively being your eyes.

So, loads of choice to suit whatever you feel comfortable with.

Richard
Richard Godfrey-McKay
Telephone: 01738-445 880
Mobile: 07791 452 593

From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of > lsmithso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > Sent: 18 April 2015 16:03 > To:
access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > Subject: [access-uk] Re: Bar code reading app
suggestions please > > > Have you tried Google Goggles?

BTW, The tricky bit with bar code scanning is finding the bar code. I
don't > know what the solution to that is.

--
Les Smithson
** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:- > **