[access-uk] Re: Bar code reading app suggestions please

  • From: "Richard Godfrey-McKay" <lists.godfrey-mckay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 20:20:26 +0100

Peter, There are some comparisons on the appleviz site. I use something
called Digiteyes - which is pretty good, although, as has been said part of
the problem is finding the barcodes.
There seem to be some helpful guidelines e.g. codes are often where the
label on a can joins, or on the smaller label of a bottle of wine or other
products. So far as I can see, the codes are not usually on the prominent
product label, but on a less obvious part of the product.

If you can't get satisfactory results from a scanner, then I think you'd be
pretty impressed by the results from TapTapSee - although this works out at
about 6 or 7p per photo if you're prepared to pay that - and I am!

Another option might be to use the app bemyeyes - which allows volunteers to
look through your phone's camera - effectively being your eyes.

So, loads of choice to suit whatever you feel comfortable with.

Richard
Richard Godfrey-McKay
Telephone: 01738-445 880
Mobile: 07791 452 593