[access-uk] Re: Bar code reading app suggestions please

  • From: "andyshipp" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 12:49:05 +0100

Ok many thanks for this George very much appreciated

-----Original Message----- From: George Bell
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 9:52 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Bar code reading app suggestions please

Hi Andy,

I do my best here.

Bar codes visually appear as a series of vertical lines of varying width and spacing. Without going into technical details, this represents what is possibly best described as being like a part or item number, which in fact can even include letters.

However, a bar code reader is able to very quickly scan these, and for example, in a supermarket, it looks up the item on the store's computer system using what it sees on the bar code, and adding this to your bill.

Now what is also possible with the likes of today's smart phone technology, is the ability for the phone user, with an appropriate application on the phone, to scan many of these bar codes, and provide you with more information. Moreover, it is often the kind of information which appears in print on the package.

My wife has such an application, and when she is in our local supermarket, they have bar codes on the front of the shelves which she can scan. The app then tells her if what she is looking at is available in other supermarkets and at what price.

That's the broad gist of it, but there are many other areas where bar codes come in handy.

George