[access-uk] Re: Advice re router purchase

  • From: "Amro Bilal" <amro_bilal@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 16:23:40 +0100

Hi Douglas,

I think buying a wireless router with multiple ports and a built in firewall would be the easiest and safest route to go. A router with only one port is quite poor to be frank. I have used two wireless routers. The DrayTek Vigor 2800, which is a very robust router but it is quite expensive and could be quite technical and difficult to setup. The other one is Thomson SpeedTouch 585 v7 54Mbps Wireless ADSL/2+ Router. I would recommend this one as it is very easy to setup and configure, it has all the add-on features that most users may need such as firewall, web encryption for security, parental controls etc. And it is reasonably priced too. I saw it for about £43 on DSL-Warehouse at www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk. I used DSL Warehouse in two occasions and found the company to be reliable; on the website they have a phone number for sales inquiries if you'd rather talk to someone. Other router brands that are very popular are Linksys and Netgear. Check out the DSL Warehouse website; you'll be spoiled for choice! One thing though, when you spot one that you like ask again on the list before buying just to be sure that you don't run into any accessibility issues.

Cheers,
Amro
----- Original Message ----- From: "Douglas Harrison" <harrison1d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>