[access-uk] Re: Advice re router purchase

  • From: "Adrian Higginbotham" <adrian.higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:38:59 +0100

Douglas - stay away from d-link the Web interface used to configure them is a
nightmare with screenreaders as I know to my cost.

You could simplify things for yourself by just buying a wireless access point
for your existing router.  Plug the access point in to your router and then
connect to that via wifi if your machines currently support it, or via the
Ethernet ports on the access point itself, assuming you buy one with these.
This is the route I went down to wifi enable my now aging router.
Is it a perfect solution? Probably not.
Is it cheaper than buyng a new router? Yes I picked up a reconditioned one on
Ebay for about £20 delivered, just look out for ones that list your make and
model of router as compatible.
 Is it simpler than configuring a new router? Most definitely as the access
point required no configuration at all.
It does mean you've got two boxes rather than one cluttering up the place.  For
best performance, and in line with health and safety advice on wifi
transceivers and their radiation, mount the access point (or your wifi router
if you go that route) above 2 meters from the floor, on top of a tall bookcase
does nicely.

Adrian Higginbotham,
Manager, Leading edge research
Tel: Direct dial 024 7679 7333 - Becta switchboard 02476-416994
Email: Adrian.Higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.becta.org.uk/
BECTA, Millburn Hill Road, Science Park, Coventry, CV4 7JJ