[access-uk] Re: Accessible cooker

  • From: David Griffith <daj.griffith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 15:11:51 +0100

Many thanks for this. There seems a dearth of useful information about
accessible products out there. Lots of advice about the pretty obvious, that is
the difficulty of touch screens etc but precious few product recommendations so
thanks again for this.

David Griffith

On 5 Oct 2015, at 13:58, John Wilson <j.wilson07@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello David,

I have had a basic Beko cooker of this type for the last 5 years with no
problems. It has 4 raised solid rings of different sizes and power output, a
separate grill and oven and the ring knobs have 6 clicking positions. The
rings heat up quickly and can be turned down very low. The grill and oven
knobs do not click but a couple of bump-ons can be used to mark main heat
ratings.

This cooker is a Beko D532, if you can still ge them. I just had a quick look
on Ebay and found no D532s but there was a D533 which seems to be the same as
my D532, so what the difference is I don't know. It costs £275 inc postage.
It's at:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEKO-D533AS-50cm-TWIN-CAVITY-ELEC-COOKER-01-/371112837740?hash=item56680c826c

Try Argos, curries, etc, to check for others plus Google.

HTH,
John.

On 04/10/2015 22:55, David Griffith wrote:

My electric double oven /grill cooker with 4 rings had the main Oven die
last week.

This and various other more minor problems including one of the rings not
working properly and bad sealing means that I am probably going to have to
invest in a new cooker as this model is definately on its last legs.

I wonder if anybody could recommend a cooker with a similar specification
which would be usable by a blind person without sight. My current old
cooker has clickable dials so something similar would be preferable to
anything relying on a touch screen. I would also need to be able to feel
the hob rings so that I can centre saucepans properly on them.
Many thanks

David Griffith