[access-uk] YouTube keyboard controls

  • From: Colin Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 09:41:32 +0100

Greetings,

I am passing this along, seen on the VicugL group,

not tried it so unable to vouch for it's working.

YouTube keyboard controls
From: Ana G <lot.of.yada@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I was Googling something else and discovered that

YouTube has some nifty keyboard shortcuts. I'm

posting them in case others of you didn't know them

either.

To play/pause a video, hit the spacebar.

To fast forward or rewind by 5 seconds, tap the right-

or left-arrow key.

To fast forward or rewind by 10 seconds, tap the

letter l or j.

To fast forward or rewind longer, hold down the

right- or left-arrow key.

To jump to the 10, 20, 30 ... percent point in the

video, hit the 1, 2,
3 ... on the keyboard.

I just tried the shortcuts, and they do work. You have

to give the video a couple of seconds to start

playing. I don't know if focus is moving to
the seek control during that time. The screen reader

does chatter, but you can tap the control key to shut

it up.

From: Catherine Getchell gtrumpet@xxxxxxxxx>

Interesting. I tried this with Youtube and JAWS and

couldn't seem to make the shortcuts work. JAWS

was interpreting my use of the arrow keys and other

keyboard commands as JAWS navigation

commands. When I hit the right and left arrow keys,

it behaved like it would do on any
webpage and read me letter by letter. When I hit l, it

tried to take me to a list on the page. Any idea what

I'm doing wrong?

From: Jeff Kenyon

<jkenyon7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Try going to a forms element and put it in forms

mode. I have had success with that and since

youtube is flash content you would be clicking

buttons like in any other flash animation.