[access-uk] YouTube keyboard controls

  • From: Colin Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 07:01:33 +0100

Greetings,

There is an adendum from experience, I will paste it in.

From: Ana G lot.of.yada@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I posted a variation of the following message a couple of days ago, but
the message didn't make it to the list because I'd exceeded my limit.

For the YouTube commands to work, You need to be on the right seek
control (Jaws) or slider (NVDA). There are two. One is for volume, and
the other is for time. They're near the Play/Pause button, so you can
use your screen reader to find the button, then arrow around from there
to find the seek control.

Once you find the slider, you need to press the space bar. This lets the
screen reader know you want to work with the control. After that, you
can use the arrows to move through the video, the space bar to stop and
start it, the number row to move to a specific percentage of the way
through, and the J and L to jump back or forward in 10-second increments.

If you want to stop working with the seek control, you can press the PC
mode command in Jaws or escape key in NVDA, or you can tab away from the
slider.