[access-uk] Re: Accessible Spelling Software

  • From: "Joe Hunter" <jjjgidlow@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 15:55:10 +0100

i DON'T KNOW OF A PROGRAM THAT WILL DO THIS BUT I HAD A NOSE ON THE WEB AND
FOUND THIS LIST.

accept, except
acetic, ascetic
advice, advise
affect, effect
axe, acts
axle, axil
deal, dele
caret, carrot
close, clothes
cask, casque
deuce, juice
facts, fax
formerly, formally
halve, have
hostel, hostile
ion, iron
jota, jotter
liar, layer
loch, lock
mana, manna
ordinance, ordnance
paw/pore/pour, poor
pecan, pekan
picture, pitcher
plaintiff, plaintive
prince, prints
presence, presents
tense, tents
wan, won
The two spellings have a meaning in common.  Even if each spelling has
distinct meanings, any common mean classifies them as alternative spellings
rather than homophones.  (American, or other non-British, spellings are
ignored for this purpose.)
ambiance, ambience
assay, essay
aught, ought
cot, cote
depositary, depository
forbear, forebear
forego, forgo
gage, gauge
gel, jell
genet, jennet
gibe, gybe
gray, grey
grill, grille
groin, groyne
gunnel, gunwale
hippie, hippy
main, maine
prise, prize
ray, re
ton, tonne
It would be double counting.  If two forms of two words are different
homophones, then I only count a single example.
I list complement/compliment  and hence don't list
complementary/complimentary .  I normally list the simplest form (singular
rather than plural; present tense etc.) unless other form is a longer list.
e.g. I list holey/holy/wholly  rather than hole/whole .
Proper nouns and associated adjectives are not allowed, notably a lot of
nations, nationalities, and place names are pronounced the same as common
nouns.
Capitol, capital
Crewe, crew
Czech, check/cheque
Chile, chilly/chilli
Dane, deign
Greece, grease
Hungary, hungry
Lapp, lap
Nice, niece
Pole, poll
Rome, roam
Sikh, seek
Thai, tie
Towcester, toaster
Wales, whales And many, many more.
Unsure
Alleged homophones that aren't in my dictionary.  As such I am either
uncertain of pronunciation, spelling or even existence of the word, so
cannot include in the confirmed list.  Word Homophone(s) Comment
wether weather, whether I am told this is a type of sheep.
basinet bassinet ?A musical instrument?
hele heal,heal ?Song, from the German?
how'll howl Not really establisted enough to count
leider leader ?Song, from the German?
lune loon The moon (if so fails as a proper noun) meer mere rayed raid sice
syce sorel sorrel velum vellum wyrd weird
e-mail