[56raf_firebirds] Analysis of the second strike, 17 Nov 19

  • From: 56RAF_phoenix <phoenix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 56raf_firebirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 23:07:40 +0000

As I said about the first strike, the two mistakes we made then were:

    1.    to turn after the target, slowing our exit;
    2.    enabling the enemy to cut the corner.

We learnt... on the second strike we kept going straight as fast as we could, but they still caught us.

What we didn't know was that two 190s were patrolling 8km SW of the target (the likeliest entry and exit route for unsophisticated attackers). But we did choose an unexpected approach direction and they were at 16,000 ft and didn't see us until after we dropped bombs.

However, we did choose our exit route in the most obvious direction (it coincided with the target line-up). Given the need to line up with the target, either our entry or exit would have been under the 190s. Bad luck for this target.

On closing on Cina, the lead 190 was doing 450 mph TAS, while Cina was doing 310 mph TAS. I think the only improvement here would have been if the 190s were on the wrong side of the target and we'd equalised energy during our exit. Cina was shot down as he zoomed up with the 190s following.

As a matter of course, after the bomb drop we should try and assess whether we're being followed.

The 190s never lost touch with the P-38s and remaining Tempest. The 190s were doing ~370 mph TAS and 56 had reduced throttle and speed to ~300 mph TAS.

/We should be less cautious about using combat power to escape and always assume we're being tracked./

/We should always consider a significant course change or battle climb (in P-38s) once well clear of the target - and maybe always after one of our number has been bounced./

Once the 190s engaged Talisman, I turned back and attacked a 190, gaining some minor hits. Talisman advised me to leave, so I climbed away and RTBed.

With hindsight, I might have done better to have stayed.

It was always going to be hard to escape from determined 190s/Doras, but we might have got better chances if we'd optimised our actions.

56RAF_phoenix