[24hoursupport] 1024 cylinder limit and Partition Magic

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:04:06 -0500

Hello All,

System is Windows XP Pro, NTFS file system on all drives/partitions and I
am using mounted folders extensively. Pentium 3, 1GHz, approx. 8 months old
(custom built system).

My boot partition is set to about 8G in size, but I am running out of
space, in fact I only have ca. 350MB remaining. Swap file is on another
partition, so performance is not affected, but I am breathing fumes on that
partition. The physical drive is 40G, so I started up Partition Magic to
shift things around and give my C:\ partition more room. When I set it just
a bit larger than it already is, PM says that "the partition extends beyond
the 1024 cylinder boundary and may be unbootable". It will, however,
apparently allow the change to take place.

From what I have found so far, I am thinking this really is only a problem
for DOS and older Windows. But I want to find out more before I do this to
my boot partition.

Any help?

Thanks,

Ron