[24hoursupport] Re: 1024 cylinder limit and Partition Magic

  • From: Joe Parker <joe.parker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 10:10:31 -0400

You are correct that, in a multiboot system, windows needs that first
partition to be FAT and in the first part of the drive. But with only one
OS installed I'm not even sure why PM warns you. Presumably you partitioned
this drive so you could image the C: drive so you can't lose much if
disaster strikes (wouldn't be any other good reason to partition).

P.S. Having that page file on a different partition doesn't help
performance. It has to be on a different physical disk. Even then you have
to have too little RAM for it to be particularly noticeable.

>System is Windows XP Pro, NTFS file system on all drives/partitions and I
>am using mounted folders extensively. Pentium 3, 1GHz, approx. 8 months old
>(custom built system).
>
>My boot partition is set to about 8G in size, but I am running out of
>space, in fact I only have ca. 350MB remaining. Swap file is on another
>partition, so performance is not affected, but I am breathing fumes on that
>partition. The physical drive is 40G, so I started up Partition Magic to
>shift things around and give my C:\ partition more room. When I set it just
>a bit larger than it already is, PM says that "the partition extends beyond
>the 1024 cylinder boundary and may be unbootable". It will, however,
>apparently allow the change to take place.
>
> From what I have found so far, I am thinking this really is only a problem
>for DOS and older Windows. But I want to find out more before I do this to
>my boot partition.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at