[24hoursupport] Re: 1024 cylinder limit and Partition Magic

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 10:01:47 -0500

Hello Joe,

>You are correct that, in a multiboot system, windows needs that first
>partition to be FAT and in the first part of the drive. But with only one
>OS installed I'm not even sure why PM warns you. Presumably you
>partitioned this drive so you could image the C: drive so you can't lose
much if
>disaster strikes (wouldn't be any other good reason to partition).

OK, educate me. I partition my drives mainly to gain efficiency and reduce
cluster waste and overhead. I settled awhile back, when I was still using
FAT32 under Windows 9x, on 8K clusters as a good middle ground between
cluster size and overall partition size. When I moved to XP Pro and the
NTFS system, I kept the same settings mainly because it was convenient.
Does the cluster size and overhead depend on cluster size under NTFS as
well? I will readily admit that I have not taken the time to research this
as well as I perhaps should have before switching. I switched to NTFS
mainly for the the ability to use mounted partitions and the additional
security features offered, specifically allowing only authorized users into
certain directories (I don't want my 5 year old nephew who sometimes will
play games when I am not here to supervise having access to the system
files or anything else that might cause grief if he got to playing around).
Regardless, I'd say there are excellent reasons for partitioning under FAT
or FAT32... do they not apply under NTFS?

>P.S. Having that page file on a different partition doesn't help
>performance. It has to be on a different physical disk. Even then you have

>to have too little RAM for it to be particularly noticeable.

Yes, of course. The partition the page file is on is also on a physically
separate drive. I have 4 large drives in my system, two on the primary EIDE
controller and 2 on a Promise EIDE controller I added. Under FAT32, I had
all 25 available drive letters filled. When I then wanted to add a card
reader for my digital camera, I needed yet another drive letter. Mounted
partitions allowed me to free up drive letters so now I have only have
drives C:\, D:\, and G:\ assigned to hard drive partitions (G:\ is the page
file partition, E:\ and F:\ are my DVD and CD-Writer).

I agree that the increase in performance on my system, which has 256M RAM,
from having the page file on a separate partition is negligible. But every
little bit counts :)

Thanks for the answer.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at