[1stPickPCHelp] Re: Help needed

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickpchelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 17:25:57 -0800

Hi Jeff,
you could try using MSCONFIG to tempoarily remove programs from your start
up to see if one of them is causing the problem.

Here is the text from the Help file in msconfig window;
<text> indicates a hyperlink.

To start System Configuration Utility

System Configuration Utility (Msconfig.exe) automates the routine
troubleshooting steps that Microsoft Technical Support engineers use when
diagnosing issues with the Windows 98 configuration. This tool permits you
to modify the system configuration through a process of elimination with
check boxes, reducing the risk of typing errors previously associated with
Notepad and System Configuration Editor.

System Configuration Utility also can create a backup copy of your system
files before you begin a troubleshooting session. Create backup copies of
your system files to ensure that the modifications made during your
troubleshooting session can be reversed.

<Click here>  to start System Configuration Utility.

Important

Back up your current system configuration files with Msconfig before the
troubleshooting session begins to ensure that changes made during this
session are reversible. To do so, click the General tab, click Create
Backup, and then click OK.
For more information on using System Configuration Utility, click Help in
the System Configuration Utility window.

What's Next?

[ ] <Create a clean environment for troubleshooting>

Here is an exelent site which explains which programs you can sutdown from "
msconfig "

msconfig, is a Win 98 DOS comand, you can starti it by going to;
Start> Run, and in the box which opens go to the 'start up' tab.
You can add and remove programs fron the Windows startup by removing the
check-marks.
You will need to reboot afterwards to activate your choices.

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Uncheck.htm
Many new users are concerned about the low level of system resources
available to them.
Much of the problem can be due to the number of programs which are loaded
and run when the system starts up.

In an effort to clarify what these programs are and whether they are
necessary the following list is provided.
Programs are color-coded to aid in determining whether they are necessary.
Those which must not be removed have their names in red, those which can be
removed without a problem are in green, and those which may or may not be
required are in yellow.

Be sure to back up your registry before making any changes!
Click Start, and select Run, then type in MSCONFIG and click OK.
In the 'General' tag, click 'Create Backup'.

I hope this helps.

See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
A Technical Support Alliance Charter Member
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/techsupportalliance/

On 10/11/2002 at 12:50 PM Jeffrey Needle wrote:

Hello all.  I wonder if someone here can give me some guidance.

Over the last few weeks, my computer has been behaving badly.  At first it
was just
a slight annoyance; now it's a major pain in the butt.  When first starting
the
computer, everything goes well.  Then, when I attempt to do anything from
the
desktop -- download e-mail, even move an icon from a subfolder to the
desktop,
which is what I did first thing this morning -- the disk spins forever and
ever, the
system freezes up, and finally releases the system so I can continue.

This morning, the delay was the longest ever -- 50 minutes!  The disk
access light
just flickered and burned, and no mouse movements or keystrokes did a
darned
thing.  After 50 minutes, the system finally freed up and I was able to
continue.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?  I thought maybe the disk drive
was
dying, but this only happens once, just after I've started the PC.  For the
rest of the
day, it behaves fine.

I'm running Win98.

Thanks!