Re: XY4 on Mac Mini in Boxer

  • From: Fred Weiner <fw1948@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: XyWrite List <xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 15:26:06 -0700

Lisa, One can print from XY4 running Boxer, with a few dance steps. First,
it is necessary to have the loaded printer file in XY be POSTGHST.PRN or
its equivalent, PostScript producing printer file. Then, run TYF (typing
the document to a file); save the file to the Mac desktop (which you have
mounted in Boxer to a drive letter (I use d:\ for ~/Desktop)), then run the
resultant PostScript (filename.PS) file through preview.app and print the
resulting pdf from there.

The whole thing can be mostly automated within XY via the keyboard file; I
press ctrl-shift-t, for example, and a .ps file pops onto my desktop a
moment later. The details of this could be sent to you separately if you
want them. I use Quicksilver, too, so my next step, to avoid going to the
mouse, is invoking Quicksilver, bringing the .ps file into its first pane,
and then with "open" in the second pane hitting enter. The whole thing
takes less than ten seconds from the time I print-to-file in XY to printing
the pdf from Preview.

Many of the U2 frames are available; I frequently use SPELL, FISHOUT,
REGEDIT, the indispensable IDKEY, HELP, many others. Of course, none of the
frames that use MS Windows resources work in Boxer; that's why R.
Holmgren's TYP frame is useless for printing from DOSBox or Boxer. FW.