[Wittrs] Re: [C] Re: Notes on Duncan Richter's essay 'Did Wittgenstein Disagree With Heidegger?'

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:01:22 -0700 (PDT)

(J)

... not exactly sure I agree.

1. I guess I do agree that one who held a deep claim of insight, but who could
not see it as only a picture of such, would NOT be required to have the
situation enhanced, as a rule. I understand that this would make Wittgenstein a
kind of Tommy after the mirror broke and he started the pinball church. Surely
the idea of "therapy" turns into something of an orthodoxy or of an assault, if
one treats it like this.

2. I don't agree that Wittgenstein's idea of a picture is "just a picture."
 This would seem to say that being aware of the phenomenon of picturing is
itself a "picture."  I don't agree with that. I see it more in terms of an
actual thing: something that happens, cognitively. Those who launch claims do
so
from pictures in their head; and those who see this are more insightful about
claim forming. I see this trait in my students all the time. If you try to show
them the picture behind their claim -- if you move the earth of their
proposition rather than clash swords against it -- they come to see for the
first time that the ground is not stationary (a given).

I wonder how the idea of picturing as itself being only a "picture" compares
with Wittgenstein's views about the difficulty of finding "the beginning" or
with Tractarian ideas about limitations in thought or world.

I think, J, we may be very near here to the things that may separate you and I
regarding what we feel Wittgenstein did to us. I'm thinking here of something
like this. Some professors will not mess with pictures unless the patient seems
to call for it. They will leave the student to think for himself or herself,
after being shown the challenges of belief. These professors have the most
exemplary bed side manners one could ever imagine. I once had a philosophy
professor exactly like that -- very much appreciated him, too.

I, however, have not taken this path. I take it as requirement #1 for students
to see the pictures they create and to consider alternate pictures. I'm much
more interventionist. In fact, I take the model of picturing as a device around
which to construct course material.

(Got to run for the day now)

Regards and thanks

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.