[Wittrs] Re: Notes on Duncan Richter's essay 'Did Wittgenstein Disagree With Heidegger?'

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 23:09:51 -0700 (PDT)

... I think the last premise Richter makes is the least convincing of an
otherwise very good read. I think he's actually wrong about that. If we imagine
one who held a claim to deep insight but could not see it as only a picture of
such, it would, of course, require therapy to help him see this. And this would
surely undercut the claim to "deep insight" -- for the whole point of being
"deep" is to both see the picture and appreciate what it is compared to others
that might be formed.

But, nonetheless, imagine if the picture did happen to be really, really deep.
What I have said here is that perhaps it is possible for the passionate to
reveal something unknown to the artist, though it may not be likely. I'm
thinking here of something that could be both crude and unaware in a sense, but
also brilliant at the same time. Something like, I don't know, Forrest Gump. Or
how about Gandalf being so impressed with hobbits. They could show him certain
beautiful things in their daily lives that they themselves could not see (as
such).

The only problem with the comparisons is that in each case the wonderment is
humble. But we could surely change this cinematic image, I think. What about
the
Wolverine or Clint Eastwood characters? Or what about what Jesus saw in Peter?

Now, this is digressing into character traits rather than claims to be deep
(philosophy). But I think it could translate. Surely there is an example of a
passionate individual who knew something others didn't without first knowing it
came only from a picture? In fact, I wonder if stories of faith don't purport
work exactly like that. Imagine one who never doubted her faith while lacking
perspective on the pictures of faith, but where, when doing so, she managed to
form a very intelligent vision for it. I wonder, is that possible?

No matter what the answer, I think this whole line of thought makes very clear
why even the Tractarian Wittgenstein found the Vienna Circle narrow, and why he
chose to read poetry to them with his back turned. Or why he scoffed at
analytics who thought science and logic to be the thing that produced the
greatest answers.
Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor