[Wittrs] Re: Notes on Duncan Richter's essay 'Did Wittgenstein Disagree With Heidegger?'

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 23:24:57 -0700 (PDT)

... just to clarify, this was in reply to this assertion that Richer makes:

"Someone so impressed by the “saintly” modesty of Kierkegaard and
the self-mockery of Weininger would hardly have been very sympathetic
to humorless and self-important claims to deep insight."

He's talking here about how Wittgenstein might regard metaphysical (poetic)
assertions. He develops a theory that says Wittgenstein would regard them only
after first understanding their "picture." (And he's quite correct here, in my
judgment). But he adds this idea that Weininger must have been using humor and
similar sorts of literary devices to be taken seriously. And he says
Wittgenstein must have taken this as such, because, in
essence, Wittgenstein wouldn't have been receptive to a self-centered oaf who
made certain kinds of "out there" statements without first being artistic with
the ideas.

Put like this, I suppose, one could agree with what Richer says. But put like I
did it my other mail, I'm not sure.

(P.S. If I've read any of this wrong, please do tell).

Regards and thanks.

SW