[Wittrs] Wittgenstein in Exile

  • From: Rajasekhar Goteti <rgoteti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:16:21 +0530 (IST)

Klagge notes that for  Wittgenstein the question
of the correspondence between mind and brain is bound up with  another
theme, that of "seed/plant correspondence". The analogy is broached in
Wittgenstein 1980, §903:
No supposition seems to me more natural than that there is no process in
the brain  correlated with associating or with thinking; so that it
would be impossible to  read off thought-processes from brain-processes . . .
The case would be like the following -- certain kinds of plants
multiply by seed, so that a seed  always produces a plant of the same
kind as that from which it was produced --  but nothing in the seed corresponds
to the plant which comes from it (Quoted on p. 98).
He is not so much trying to account  for Wittgenstein's ideas from his life,
but rather to explain ourdifficulty understanding him from the relation between
his life and ours, i.e., as one might put it, the life of the
average Western intellectual  of the late twentieth and early
twenty-first century. If there is a shortcoming  here, it is to be laid
at least as much at our door as at Wittgenstein's. This  seems to me to
be a central strand of Klagge's argument.

Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews
2011-04-14 : View this Review Online

: View Other NDPR Reviews
 James C. Klagge, Wittgenstein in Exile, MIT Press, 2011, 249pp., $35.00 (hbk),
ISBN 9780262015349.

sekhar