[Wittrs] Re: Nominalism / Neil

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 04:30:06 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kirby urner <kirby.urner@...> wrote:

> So can't we do the same phenomenological approach and say humans
> don't have any symbols in the same sense computers don't i.e. there's
> just a lot of biological stuff happening.

You do make a good point.  Martian biologists visiting earth might
conclude that we are not using symbols.  Or maybe they would judge
whether we were using symbols on our external behavior.  But then  crows
exhibit interesting external behavior, including learning,  yet there
isn't much discussion of whether they are using symbols.

Regards,
Neil

Group Home Page: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html
Group Discussion Board: http://seanwilson.org/forum/