[Wittrs] Re: Nominalism / Neil

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 17:54:30 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jrstern" <jrstern@...> wrote:

> I want a physicalist foundation, but that includes such non-physical
> things as time and sequence and causality.

If you can accept that time and sequence are non-physical, why is  it a
problem if mathematics and computation are non-physical?

In any case, what's the importance of a physicalist foundation,  when
physics itself has no foundation?

> Really, I just want to capture what it is, that this workstation on
> my desk is, and is doing. And some large part of that is certainly
> physical.

There is no difficulty at all in explaining that workstation as an
electro-mechanical device.  Sure, as an electro-mechanical device,  it
has a mind-numbing complexity.  However, its physical activity is
completely explained by considering it an electro-mechanical device.

It is only when you want to give a computational account, that you  run
into a difficulty with providing a purely physical account.  But that's
because computation is not itself physical, but is rather  an
intentional idealized interpretion of what is happening.

> Just as nominalism's "rejection of universals" does not actually
> reject properties like "red", but insists they are actually a certain
> type of expression, a physicalist/nominalist/computationalist theory
> does not reject mathematics, but seeks to explain how there can be
> such a thing, which then gets to prove its correctness in its own
> terms. It is a matter of priorities and explanation.

The mistake is to look for a physicalist explanation of mathematics.
There is none.  Mathematics is sui generis.

> In computation, I think we do not have a reductionist process like
> that, but a different, more compositional process, and no doubt it
> needs to be complex and subtle, too.

It is surely a mistake to think that we need such a reductionist
process.

> Adopting an atomic, physiclist theory of chemical elements did not
> involve people throwing out the notion of cows, not even cows as
> a class or natural kind. It is a bit of a reach, but atoms provide
> an explanatory story about cows.

A rather inadequate account.  That's why many biologists are critical
of reductionism.

Regards,
Neil