[Wittrs] Re: Nominalism / Neil

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:11:51 -0700

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 12:08 PM, jrstern<jrstern@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kirby urner <kirby.urner@...> wrote:
>>
>> If you want to talk about idealized pawns, as distinct from any
>> physical pawn in a special case chess set, as a "chess object",
>> that's fine.  We could notate that in Python (a logic used by some
>> philosophers in the FOSS community -- Ian Bicking for example (just
>> blogged his talk at Djangocon:
>
> As soon as you notate that in some language,
> you have physical particulars.

Yes.

The Glass Bead Game was about notating in more than just lexemes or
using paper and pencil (an obsolete idea of "maths").

A math notation might conceivably includes smells.  That sounds wrong
until you think of a computer game in which a particular smell
presages an event, e.g. the opening of a secret door, the advent of
foul weather.

In the computer language notation, it's all lexemes, but we regard the
game play or simulation as an isomorphism or at least a valid pathway
through the code.

> This is something of a painful principle, and it's significance
> is not immediately clear, but it does seem a fully general observation.
>
> Josh

Your use of "painful" is apropos.

Again, human language notations need to embrace a full spectrum, even
if most math notations don't set themselves that challenge.

The Glass Bead Game isn't chess but then chess is more than just what
goes on between two players e.g. I've cited the Boris Spassky Bobby
Fisher match as helping expand our thinking about "rules" (and
therefore "grammar" in a Wittgensteinian sense -- which as Sean noted,
is not the usual meaning of "grammar" (LW = spin doctor)).

Kirby
Group Home Page: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html
Group Discussion Board: http://seanwilson.org/forum/
Google Archive: http://groups.google.com/group/Wittrs