[Wittrs] Re: Nominalism / Neil

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 11:11:48 -0700

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 6:48 AM, iro3isdx<xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<< snip >>

> In mathematics one never wants to come up with any linkage to  the real.
> So, no, there isn't any problem similar to dualism.  Mathematics has to
> do with idealized things.  We can have perfect  knowledge about them
> precisely because they are idealized.  Mathematics is not concerned with
> the real.

What do you guys think about just swapping in 'chess' in place of
'math' for the purposes of some language game.

You can play chess with physical pieces, but it's also symbolized, has
a notation.  You have primitive rules (a grammar) and a sense of
what's illegal.  There's also intentionality i.e. there's a goal for
the player, not just aimlessly pushing pieces.

You can play chess in your head, against yourself, or with another
player with whom you're in communication somehow.

Computers play chess.

I'm just saying chess has all the elements, is a good stand in for math.

People don't believe in a Platonic Realm where "perfect chess objects"
play "perfect chess" but they do know the difference between making
logical moves in a generalized notation, versus accidentally knocking
the pieces over and needing to start over or whatever.

If you want to talk about idealized pawns, as distinct from any
physical pawn in a special case chess set, as a "chess object", that's
fine.  We could notate that in Python (a logic used by some
philosophers in the FOSS community -- Ian Bicking for example (just
blogged his talk at Djangocon:

http://www.djangocon.org/2009/conference/schedule/
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2009/09/djangocon-day-2.html

Stuart may recall I mentioned Richard Stallman as one of the more
articulate professors of ethics of our time (professor = one who
professes).

)

Kirby
4D