[Wittrs] Re: Following a Rule

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:47:28 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "kirby.urner" <kirby.urner@...> wrote:

> > Sure, but gentlemen, might it be an easier question
> > to ask what it means to say, "my computer is computing"?
> >
> > Is the answer really, "nothing interesting"?

Kirby, I can agree to everything you say,
but it hasn't yet answered this question.

You can propose an answer that says in part,
"It is computing when John says it is computing",
but I want *detail* that explains why John takes
his computer to be computing, and this rock,
or Searle's wall paint, NOT to be computing.

I'd really prefer an answer that does not depend
quite so much on John - and I rather think we'll have
one, because once you answer the question *with* John
in sufficient detail, I think John will drop out.

Josh

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf
3 DAYS: http://alturl.com/d9vz